1. Use a lot of styling product!! – we suggest Brocato CurlKarma curl energizing cream to style and DevaCurl NoPoo for wash (you don’t need a lot of NoPoo, just add more water if it doesn’t get all the way through)
2. Bring your styling product into the shower.
3. Do not brush curls out of the shower, if combing is needed do it with the conditioner in your hair with a wide tooth comb rinse and then begin styling process.
4. Add product to soaking wet hair and always listen for a scrunch noise. This sound means you have enough water in your hair and helps evenly distribute the product.
5. Use a cotton t-shirt/ sweat shirt or a micro fiber/ shammy towel instead of a regular towel to reduce frizz. Use the scrunch motion while drying, try to only scrunch each section once or twice, if you repetively go over it it can contribute to frizz.
6. If using a diffuser do not move it around in the hair, place hair in the diffuser and hold towards head, keep it still for at least 3 minutes in each section. This will amplify your curls. Try not to point it up away from you head it eill create little frizzy fly aways.
7. If you are air drying the less you disrupt the hair, or curl pattern the less frizz you will create. Remember curls don’t like to be touched, we want to set them in there natural position. This is a hard one for all you hair tossers out there…
8. Once hair is at least 80% dry use a shine spray or oil, I suggest Lanza Neem Silk Serum. Or a nice Hair spray for those of you who need more encouragement with your curls, I suggest Sebastian SHAPER.
9. Always get your hair cut by some who is experience with curls. Lots of stylists will say they can, but ask more questions like, “Do you use a razor or Thinning shears?” and “Do you dry cut?”. Hair stylist should not use these tools on your hair it will increase frizz. Dry Cutting can be very beneficial for the really curly girls.
10. Use professional product, the DevaCurl product line is a new amazing innovative product line for curls, seek it out and use it it works!!!
At Vanilla Alley Hair Salon we retail all products listed above and Alex Huston has over 10 year experience specializing in curly textured hair styling. You will be in good hands at our Salon!